Thursday, August 7, 2008

Further adventures in Alaska

We took a trip around the Valdez area and found the Humpback salmon. Tens of thousands of them!




These were in the bay

These were trying to get past the weir into the creek. Amazing! Never seen so many fish in my life!!



We drove up to Mineral Creek and I tried a little gold panning.

Needless to say I didn't strike it rich!





Further up the road we discovered a beautiful waterfall.


We reentered Canada and the Yukon on August 5th after 34 glorious days in Alaska. But we'll be back when we go to Skagway!
We're back in Whitehorse again after traversing the worst section of road on the Alaskan Highway. In last the 260 miles there were 36 'pavement breaks' (rough gravel at 10 -20 mph) many sections of rough road and innumerable frost heaves (big roller coaster bumps in the road). Slow exhausting driving to say the least. But the slow speed gives me more time to view the scenery, as long as we don't go airborne when I don't see one of the hidden frost heaves!

No comments: